Now, For A Completely Different Approach

I don't know how many people are already aware of this, but a USC student created a video game called Darfur is Dying. Essentially, you can pick from a family of displaced Sudanese who must try to care for his/her people while attempting to avoid the Janjaweed militia. I personally haven't decided exactly how I feel about this. On one hand, it presents an incredibly important issue to a demographic that may not normally be exposed to it, due to being apathetic or cynical to traditional news media. On the other hand, I have fear it turns a serious crisis into entertainment and also risks trivializing such an important issue. Then again, it is really critical to try to effectively use all forms of media out there in order to reach as many people as possible. Especially in regards to a serious dilemma like the conflict in Darfur. I obviously have a lot to say about this issue alone but I'll save it for when I don't have numerous essays and teacher's college applications mocking and threatening me.

Comments