Yes, I'm a Writing Slut, But I Still Have Standards

I got some interesting responses from some copy I wrote a little while ago. There were many people who really loved the piece and appreciated my unbiased approach to the controversial topic, but were a little upset that I didn't go all "guns a blazing" with my opinion. They knew that I likely had a rather passionate opinion on the subject and they even had a good idea of my opinion based off previous work on this blog. So, they could not fathom why I didn't produce a venom laced tirade just like I do here on the blog.

My answer was simple. It wasn't for my blog.

One of the reasons that I love my blog, is that it is an outlet for my thoughts, emotions, and opinions. I can essentially write exactly what I want. I can share my opinions completely uncensored (for the most part). I don't need to write to any specifications or guidelines. If I have something I want to rant about, then I just rant away. Now, the downside of the blog is that I don't make a single penny on here (and yes, I know I could but don't feel the need to at this point). Since I want to be a career writer who can pay his bills and mortgage, I need to find clients that are willing to shovel money into my pockets.

The thing is, companies and editors tend to not just give their money for throwing out an opinion or putting words down on paper. They usually have a need or problem. If you can solve that need or problem, then they are more than happy to give you money in exchange. The tricky part is that you actually need to solve that problem. You need to do what it is that they asked or wanted.

In the case of this copy, there was a particular topic the company wanted covered. They wanted it covered in an impartial and balanced way. So, it would have been rather knob headed of me to then churn out a violent rage rant against the subject matter. Especially since I like to be able to call myself the home owner rather than the guy living the house owned by the bank, but I can't do that if I continue to not be paid. Believe me, if I write just the way I want then I'm likely to piss off a lot of client and see very little money.

I wrote the piece the client wanted. Just like I always do when I have client work. If you meet deadlines, are a talented writer, easy to work with, and able to meet specifications then your much more likely to get repeat work or referred to other work. Since getting paid to write is how I make a living, I enjoy constantly getting work.

I wrote the piece in an entirely impartial way and left my opinion on the matter at the door. Apparently, this upset a few people that know me, but my slightly larger bank account could care less. If the client told me they would pay me for my opinion, then I'd happily have served it up. They didn't want it, so I left it out. It was that simple.

I am sure some of you are saying, "So, this is all about the money then?" And I say, "You're damn right it is." Like I said, this is my job. Most people like to get paid at their jobs. To get paid at your job, you need to do what is asked by the one paying you. So, I do.

You may be thinking, "Aren't you worried that people may think you endorse the subject matter you wrote about?" Nope. Because again, I got my money and I think I wrote a damn good piece of copy. That is essentially all I care about in that regards.

If I do have an opinion on the subject matter that I feel must be shared, then I'll either write it here or go find a client who is willing to pay me for it. But this one wanted that type of piece and so that is what I wrote.

When it comes to this particular piece or even anything I've written so far in my career, there wasn't anything that made me feel dirty or feel that I compromised my values. No, I didn't express my view on the subject matter and maybe some readers left with the opinion that I was all for this particular thing. But to me that doesn't really matter too much. I wrote something that was balanced and left it up to the reader to figure out all the answers.

Besides, I am a rather passionate and opinionated writer. I don't think I can ever truly wipe out all my feelings and emotions. So, I do think the piece gave a small hint to where I leaned. I also know that in order to get paid, it had to be subtle and miniscule.

As I've said in the past, I know there are people that see writing as this higher power that should be this holy and spiritual experience. A writer should be creating work that is for the greater good and using this medium as a form to express their opinions. These people will likely think that anything other than that is selling out. If that is their opinion, than feel free to call me a sell out. I like being paid.

The fact is, I will write almost anything for money. I am a writing slut. If you promise to pay me a decent rate, then I'll write what it is you need. I think that standard is the reason I've been able to break into writing so quickly and start make a living out of it. I'm not picky. I'll write anything from a press release for a new media start up to a SEO article for a plastic surgeon to a sales copy letter for kitchen products to current issue news articles to short fiction to a video game manual to a fantasy novel to a how to renovate a bathroom to a small business mission statement. I'll do whatever. I believe that flexibility will keep me busy and allow me to have work for a long time. You have money, then I have the desire to write for it. I'll write it if it is exciting and I'll write it when it seems dull. As is the mentioned case, I'll write stuff I may not agree with, but still keep my opinion to myself. I'm a writing slut and my bank account is thankful for it.

Now, I said that I'll write ANYTHING. Do I really mean that? Do I not have any line that I wouldn't cross? Do I have no writing morals?

Well, I'm a slut, but one with standards.

I'll write almost everything, but I do have a line I won't cross. For example, if the previous copy was supposed to be a pro piece, then I wouldn't have wrote it. I'm not going to write an opinion piece that ever actually goes against my opinion. You won't ever see me writing any far right conservative literature that promotes the eliminations of freedoms for specific groups. Unless somthing drastically changes, you're not going to ever see an opinion piece where I rave about how Stephen Harper is the new Jesus and how his sweat is tastier than butterscotch. There are things that I'll turn down, even if the money is good.

For example, a few months back I got an offer to write some content for a entertainment website. After checking out the site, I realized their main purpose was to provide downloads to television shows and movies. As far as I could tell, it was being done in an illegal fashion (especially since most of the movies were still in theatres). As I've said before, I'm against people gaining content without paying the appropriate parties. It means the artist suffers in the long term, because the industry no longer has the money to pay them. As a writer who eventually wants to write novels, and realizes my way of making money off novels is for people to buy them, I'm opposed to the idea of piracy. So, I could not write content for that site. Just like if a cigarette company wanted me to produce some ad material, I wouldn't be able to say yes (despite the sweet money they could dangle in front of me). So, I do have standards.

I think it is important to be willing to write as much as possible. You have to be careful to not let your opinions and feelings get in the way of potential work. When it is a balance piece, I don't have much trouble writing on things that I may not fully support. I realize everyone has their own line or things that they can not write about. For me, I've been able to write on a wide variety of subjects and different styles of writing, and still been able to avoid feeling like I have compromised my morals or integrity. I know it is different for each person. I feel I've still been able to maintain my own balance between writing as much as possible but staying true to my own belief system.

Comments

  1. Anonymous3:14 pm

    Heather Badhouse via Facebook:

    man, people need to realise it's actually a skill to write an unbiased (as much as that is not always entirely possible) article. And then appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think for the most part people do. In my case, it was likely an issue of some not separating the difference between my blog writing from my job writing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment