Film Criticism Isn't Science, and Why a Critic's Opinion Can't Ever Actually be Wrong

I've had Rotten Tomatoes bookmarked on my web browser ever since I discovered it over a decade ago. It is a film site that has a collection of great writers and provides easy access to the top critics in North America. It is also provides a barometer for where a particular picture stands amongst the public and professional conscious. The site does have its issues, and the major one is how it has altered or at least encouraged a faulty perception of the actual purpose of film criticism. It has also been used to fuel many rage worthy comments in reviews when one critic dared to have a different view than the majority (or just the very vocal minority). I explore this issues in my latest Collective Publishing pop culture column, and I also try to explain the real purpose of film criticism (one major hint: it is very far from ever being objective).

Comments